Or rather, things I’ve been doing.
- Sell a house. Done and done.
- And since I have that cash in hand: buy a car. Oh man, I want this little VW bus so badly! It’s a little pricey, though, and frankly I’m just not sure I’d really use it. I mean, if you had an awesome car like this, you’d just keep it in a garage, right? (And recall, I no longer have a garage in which to store this sweet sweet treasure.) I would be like “oh, no. We can’t go camping in it: we’ll get it all dirty! It might rain! Don’t put your feet on the seats!” I’ve been longing for this guy since around November, though, so maybe since it’s still for sale it means I should get it… With the money I’m saving by not having a mortgage anymore, I could make the cost of the car up before the year is over. Hmm…
- Buy a house. Ok, I’m super torn here. Do I need a house? No, no more than I “need” the car above. I live with friends. They’re great. It’s a super nice part of town, and only 2 miles from work. It’s low rent, and I raid their fridge (food and beer fridges alike) anytime I want. But to have my own little patch of ground again… something about that is so alluring! Here’s what I’m mulling over:
Bungalow Pool house Yard house 1937 Bungalow to save from tear-down
Own a little bit of true “keep Austin weird”ness
Close to a fun area of town
Dreams of ironic picket fencing
Near an awesome super market
Hippie area is more me than the ‘burbs
Location near friends’ home
Near rest of my normal stuff
On-street parking is ok
Best neighborhood of the 3
Back yard like I dreamed about as a kid
Nice back deck for parties
On-street parking is ok
Location near work and rest of life
Plenty to upgrade on house, but can move in
Biggest patch of land of the 3
Neighborhood pool and park very nearby
Top of my price range.
Way expensive taxes (2x any other home I’ve seen)
House is trashed
Condo neighbors likely to not be my type o’ folks
Very little parking for parties
Lots of busy roads and big buildings
Top of my price range
Pool means maintenence
Smaller yard area to play with
Decking will need maintenance and work
Hills in either direction to work
House is ok, but not fab
Neighborhood is meh
Hm. I’ve clearly thought the most about the bungalow, although its pros and cons balance out. The pool house has more pros than cons, as does the yard house. However, I know more about the yard house because I actually looked at it, where the pool house is still an on-paper thing only.
- Create a biking LED shirt/jacket, like on Instructables.
- So with all that decision-making to occupy my mind, I’ll probably just design a hat based on a popular video game. This is not a lie.
from Hewmasters photo stream