He finally has teeth and (many) willing models!
Warning: making a murloc hat results in hammy posing, even if the murloc is only gumming some models’ heads …
And loud, head-shaking “murgurlgleugumemrmrmrmr!”s.
I did the colors and eye size roughly off this streamrunner on the http://www.wowwiki.com/Murloc page. I designed him to have dangly arms to tie under your neck, like he’s strangling you while he bites your head. His hands and feet are the same color as his spikes, and he’s got a contrasting strip running from between his eyes down his back. Future hats might use colors of more famous murlocs, like Mmmrrrggglll, Cookie, and maybe even baby murlocs. Cookie is awesome electric blue with yellow spikes and green hands. Babies come in whites with pink and orange other parts. Those’ll all be fun! Shoot, fun just to find the colors for em.
If I had it to do over (and I do and am), I’d choose a green yarn with no flecks. They took too much away from the stripe and other pattern details. However, that yarn is still needing to be used, so it’ll be more murloc bodies soon. Still, in a perfect world, straight color. The stripe, same deal: it varied too much and pissed me straight off. To boot, one of its color variations was green. Sigh. Well, so much for knitting from a stash. Finally, and this one is also up for debate as soon as I write it, I’d not do intarsia. There were so many carries and you name its that the hat is super hot (which was nice last night when my murloc walked into a bar, as it was actually feeling kinda wintry) and also looks pretty puckery. Admittedly, I had never done that method of color change so I learned. Meh.
So for this round currently on the needles, the green flecky yarn is reprised, but I’m leaning right now (and I just got a replacement circular needle at lunch today to start the first round, so it’s early yet) to just knit straight green, then duplicate stitch the pattern later. I have learned, though, that there’s a fairly easy way to drop color into a pattern. I wish I’d known before, but I know now!! Oh well, learning it after only the prototype hat is close enough. Everyone dealing with little bits of color in the round should read it. Thank you, Moth Heaven.
And the teeth! I agonized and had a murloc hat gumming its victims for quite a while. I couldn’t figure out how to do suitable ones, so while one murloc
future-recipient (he wants a blue one) wanted me to put shark’s teeth on his (sigh), I thought I could find some suitable triangle beads to do. I did, after much searching. Mad props for patience due to my roommates for helping. After buying enough beads for teeth on 3 hats, I found this on Ravelry: an awesome chomper monster hat by knitting ninja, complete with pattern and ZOMG TEETH.